Thursday, September 13, 2007

Remove traffic signs, reduce traffic accidents?

This is the second or third time I've seen an article to this effect that removing traffic signs actually reduces traffic accidents because everyone pays more attention at intersections instead of just assuming that they have the right of way because of what a sign says. If I, for example, know that there might be someone coming the other direction at an unmarked intersection, I'll slow down, but if I think I have a green light at a marked intersection, I'll keep going full speed. But then, oops, I wasn't paying close attention and the light had changed to red, and I just sideswiped some poor fellow. That's how most accidents occur today. The new theory is that if you remove the signs, you get fewer of those types of accidents. I'm sure there's more to the story than this, and obviously some will disagree with the concept, but it's an interesting example of how more rules don't always lead to better results.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070911/od_nm/germany_traffic_odd_dc;_ylt=As_H0KzgtVq0Xk4T1Daw9q6s0NUE