Friday, December 14, 2007

The Future of Engineering Education?

The basic argument is that Engineering is going through a similar transition to what earlier occurred with lawyers and doctors, in which professional training occurs at the graduate level and in which the undergraduate degree is less directly relevant. Engineers end up being more well-rounded and less cogs in a machine.

I'm personally doubtful that this will occur as quickly as this study implies it should because the off-shore marketplace for engineers is more robust than it is for doctors and lawyers (I'm willing to hire a low-paid engineer from India to design my toaster, but I'm less willing to "go cheap" when it comes to my health or my legal advice), therefore the barriers for entry to be an engineer are going to be considerably lower.

http://chronicle.com/daily/2007/12/986n.htm