Monday, August 11, 2008

Review of "The Chosen"

It's been 25 years or more since I last read The Chosen and maybe 20 years since I watched the movie of that book. What I remember striking me then was how inspirational that story was in terms of my own intellectual development. Here was a way to become a man by developing my mind and soul through intellectual inquiry.

Now that I'm on the other side of the father-son story, what strikes me is the challenge of raising a son to become a man who has both a mind and a soul. Instead of being inspired as I was earlier, however, I'm now more overwhelmed and intimidated by the examples so artistically rendered in this book.

I guess it's the old story of thinking I knew it all and was capable of doing it all when I was young and now being painfully aware of how little I know and how little I can actually achieve now that I'm on the other side of 40.