Monday, July 21, 2008

How the internet has rewired our brains

I had long noticed the same thing this author refers to, my increasing inability (or lack of interest?) in reading long books. In college, I read Shirer's 1200 page "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" for fun. In grad school, I read for two years straight for my dissertation research. Now, reading one book for more than two hours has me falling asleep. What happened?

Apparently, the internet and Google happened. My brain is literally being rewired by the way I read information on a daily basis, mainly via the web. I'm becoming an information gatherer instead of a reflective and thoughtful human being. Of course, Plato warned that writing on papyrus would destroy our intellectual abilities, so this is a very old "luddite" argument, and therefore probably a very bad "luddite" argument, but I am at times worried that, as the title of the article has it, Google is making me stupid.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google