Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Great Disruption ends?

I like David Brooks a lot, and, as usual, he offers one of the more compelling summaries of what this historic transition (to Barak Obama's presidency) might mean in the long view (a return to the "concensus pragmatism" of the late 50s and early 60s before the Great Disruption of the late 60s and early 70s fragmented our society and our national conversation). While I appreciate the thought, and I do see some truth to his argument (Millenials look more like the Greatest Generation than they do like Boomers or Xers), I think Obama is more a reflection of the Globalization trend than a return to an older order. And I think modern technology will just continue the trend toward fragmentation instead of bringing us back together in some type of concensus. But I do hope that Brooks is right and I'm wrong on this one. We'll see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/opinion/20brooks.html?_r=1